Search engine optimization is broken into two parts – On- page optimization and Off-page optimization. To illustrate each of them basically, on-SEO deals with almost all marketing efforts carried out on the web page itself, while off-page focuses on outside factors such as back links, posts, submissions etc. On-page SEO carries more pragmatic approach, requires a small number of web development skills (html, php) and specific marketing tactics. I want to describe main on-page SEO techniques in 2013.
HTML SEMANTIC STRUCTURE
Whenever search engines drift on your site, they give high weight to the heading tags. Simply they represent titles and subtitles on the hierarchical level. <H1> carries the highest weight, while <H6> the least. Best place to use heading tags is your post or article. Let’s put together some valuable recommendations and hints:
- Include main keywords into <H1> tag (title), but don’t overuse them.
- Make all titles and subtitles relevant- bear in mind, that beyond the Google crawlers, people pay much attention to it.
- Don’t use H1-H6 tags in widget and sidebars, as they don’t represent the actual article or content.
- Make listing pages (archives, category) in <H1> and the titles accordingly in <H2>.
- You should have only one <H1> tag for one page and multiple H2-H6 tags, if you desire.
- Don’t transform the logo in <H1>, bacuse you simply go against the last tip-having only one <H1 tag>.
WordPress themes are really ineffective for semantic optimization. Even though every theme is marketed, as the perfect theme for SEO, they include the biggest problems with on-site SEO. The primary problems we meet from the perspective of semantic structure is-having the content first on the page and then sidebars and footers.
URLs of the websites is one of the most important on-page factors. Positioning and crafting them properly needs a hard work, as changing URLs after some time can cause loosing rankings. The ideal way is – Go in the admin panel of wordpress – Permalinks, where the best structure would be – %postname % . On the other hand, such URLs sometimes create difficulties for bloggers and navigation.
- Use keyword in target URLs.
- No possible damage, if you are utilizing category number, year into the URL.
- URLs ought to be logical and relevant – avoid over optimizing them.
DISINFECT THE WEBSITE
The truth is that every theme features worthless widgets and panels. Than we usually add some crap plugins. As a result SEO kills itself. Always remove additional plugins and widgets, comments, archive links.
- THINK ABOUT USER EXPERIENCE
- SEO plugins can be dangerous for SEO itself (if they are not used properly)
This is the first part of my article about effective on-page SEO techniques. However, you will discover various other factors to take into consideration, which I will write about in the next articles. Relevancy, patience and consistency is always related to on-page SEO, because it is the problematical and long-term work.